Volunteer teacher needed
Location: Gulu, northern Uganda
Are you looking for an adventure? Are you looking to use your skills as an early years practitioner or key stage 1 primary teacher to serve as a volunteer in the developing world? READ for Life is seeking a volunteer teacher to work on education projects in northern Uganda.
Main role of the volunteer
- Research and prepare lesson plans for READ for Life’s new nursery teacher training college based in Gulu.
- Team-teach lessons with Ugandan teacher and assist in mentoring them as tutors
- Assist to create a phonics teacher handbook for early years
- Support local early years teachers by observing lessons and giving advice on how to improve
- Participate and contribute to early years teachers’ professional development for the local community
Important skills and experience
- Be a qualified teacher with a minimum of two years experience teaching 3-7 year olds
- Be competent and skilled in teaching synthetic phonics (essential)
- Be an independent worker and able to use initiative with minimal supervision
- Be creative, flexible, adaptable and willing to learn new skills and teaching methods
The volunteer position is to start ideally in January 2019.
Interested applicants should contact Jody Unterrheiner: email@example.com